Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Scene From the Memoir I Am Not Writing


           I took a  breath before dialing my home phone number into my cellphone. I checked the clock again -10 a.m. as we agreed- and felt relieved that I was calling on time.
           
I could hear the other line buzzing as I grabbed my yellow notebook and pen off Alex’s desk, shuffled through our bedroom covered in clothes and trash, and sprinted through the dining room to avoid the demonic cat that lurked under the dining room table.

As I passed Alex drinking his buttered toffee coffee in the kitchen, I had my phone pressed to my ear, and he gave me a look. I mouthed “my dad” to let him know who I was calling. I hated having to explain whom I was talking to with my boyfriend. I knew I was going to get bombarded by his questions demanding every detail of my phone conversation with my own father. Paranoia was Alex’s middle name, so I could sense him freaking out about what I could be saying about him while on the phone, and I resented his less-than-trusting nature.  
After making my way through the crammed obstacle of a house I lived in with Alex, his mom, and his younger sister, my Dad picked up the phone just as I got to the basement, where I could escape and have some privacy.
“Hello?”
My Dad sounds as though he answers phones for a living, and picking up a call on a day off exhausts him immediately. Being an artist , and painting contemporary abstractions, this isn’t the case, but how he can always sound so tired from answering the phone amazes me.

“Hey Dad” I answered, “How are things at home?”
“The same as the last time we talked. Are you still taking your meds?”

He was referring, of course, to my medication Adderall, which I take for ADD. It’s a bit of a Catch-22 since ADD can cause forgetfulness, and the meds help with that, but if you forget to take the meds, how can you remember without them? Even now that I am no longer living with a boyfriend in his mother’s neglected house, and in college, my Dad still asks about my meds. They are necessary for me accomplishing just about anything.

“Yea, I’m still on top of them, I just forget the afternoon ones sometimes” I reassured him.

My Dad cut right to the chase.

“Well, Rachel, you seem to be calmer and in a better state of mind this morning. Are you ready to talk to me and not get upset or angry?”

Of course I am that’s why I called! I thought, but I knew that talking like that would only aggravate him and make him think I was copping an attitude.

I tried to sigh as subtly as possible. 

“Yea, I’m ready. I guess I’m just nervous I’m not going to be able to come up with some good reasons about why you should let me come back home.”

“Well, you’ve had all week to think about it and come up with some good answers” he said.

This early in the phone call, and I was tired of it, fidgety, and anxious to hang up. I hadn’t even brought up any points and I was struggling to pay attention. I just wanted to go back to bed and sleep away my problems.

I could smell the moldy dankness of the poorly refinished half of the basement I was in. I loathed this garbage hole behind Railroad Ave. I despised the neighborhood that looked quaint during the day, but where people were stabbed at night. I was tired of smelling like cigarette smoke from Alex’s chain-smoking mother. I missed my younger sister Claudia, and above all I was scared for my future. Out of high school, not in college, working at a grocery store…I did not want that future.  Staring at my blue bike Alex had shoved hap-hazard in the corner, I forced my brain to get over it and try to talk to my dad.  I wanted to go home and move on, and I knew that I had to.

No comments:

Post a Comment